Tuesday, April 21, 2009

CajunCrochet Spongie

I have tried making sponges from other peoples patterns but have not found one that worked best for me, so I tried my hand at my own pattern. I love these "spongies". I could not find a picture of one I just finished so I got a picture of the one I have been using for the past four months. The color is very faded but it is still holding up very nicely. I hate the idea of bought sponges because of all the bacteria they hold and they just tear up in the wash. This "spongie" foams up nicely and I wash it every other day.

CajunCrochet Spongie:

(click to enlarge)
Hook Size: H
flo = front loop only; blo = back loop only; slst = slip stitch; hdc = half double crochet

Ch 19
Rnd 1: hdc in 3rd ch from hook, hdc in remaining chs. (17 hdc), hdc around the unworked ch loops. Join with slst to first hdc. (34 hdc) DO NOT TURN THROUGHOUT
Rnd 2: ch 2, hdc in flo around; join with slst to 1st hdc.
Rnd 3: ch2, hdc in unworked blo of hdc in previous rnd. Continue around. (34 hdc) NOTE: This will cause a fold in your work and give your finished work that "spongy" feel. Join with a slst to 1st hdc.
Rnd 4: ch 2, hdc in flo of hdc just worked; join with slst in 1st hdc.
Rnd 5: Repeat rnd 3.
Rnd 6: Repeat rnd 4.
Rnd 7: Repeat rnd 3.
Rnd 8: Repeat rnd 4.
Rnd 9: Repeat rnd 3.
Rnd 10: Repeat rnd 4.
Rnd 11: Repeat rnd 3.
Rnd 12: Repeat rnd 4.
Rnd 13: Repeat rnd 3.
Rnd 14: ch 2, slst through both sides, joining together.

Finish Off.

If I post a pattern as free, you are free to use it in anyway you see fit. Make them, sell them, whatever. However, you are not free to sell the pattern itself! I also require that you post a link to my site.
Ex: Pattern by: Cajun Crochet: http://cajuncrochet.blogspot.com/

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this pattern! I've been SEARCHING for a spongie pattern made of cotton and not that plastic stuff. (How do you really wash that anyhow??) I'm making one right now and it's turning out PERFECT!!! Thanks!

cajuncrochet said...

Thanks for your response! I'm so glad it's turning out right for you. I wash them with my whites and towels on hot cold temp. I also dry them with the other towels.

graceous said...

Thank you for the pattern - I was so pleased with the result I made a second one straight away - they look great in natural undied cotton and are just the right size.

Anonymous said...

thank you for the great pattern. i can't wait to start. are you using cotton or acrylic yarn in your sample? does it matter? thanks!MAP

cajuncrochet said...

I used 100% cotton.

Unknown said...

My goodness... the previous comments are dated 2010 and now, 6 years later I'm writing to tell you how MUCH I LIKE your Cajun Sponge. Yes, I nearly lost my mind because I was making it more complex than what it was. Eventually, I found success, and I was off-and-running!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for sharing your pattern. You're a very generous person.
E. Christina Dabis
http://www.ladyfiddler.com